Namest nad Oslavou (Namest on the Oslava River) is a town of 5200 inhabitants in Southern Moravia and lies on the banks of the Oslava River 40 km west of Brno. Namest is mentioned for the first time in 1234 as a village at the ford.
The Gothic castle high above the river was built in the mid-thirteenth century and between 1565-1578 it was rebuilt into a Renaissance-style stately home which is now a dominating landmark of the town.
Until 1945 it belonged to the Haugwitz family, then for some time it served as a summer residence for President Beneš of Czechoslovakia, and now it houses a large collection of Berlin wool work, covering the whole period from the 16th to the 19th century. The stately
home library and the inner courtyard are frequently used as concert venues, building on the rich musical traditions of the 19th century.
Namest nad Oslavou is a starting point for several attractive walking trails, and is a venue for traditional traveller and folk music festivals such as "Namestska placka" (The Namest Gong) and "Folkove prazdniny" (Folk Holidays). Around Náměšť is ideal for leisure activites and water sports, namely the Rathan Lake, the reservoir in the Vicenice zleb (glen) and the Dalesice Reservoir which, together with the Oslava and Jihlava rivers, are a real angler´s paradise. The stately home park specialises in the breeding of fallow deer.
Town´s Information centre
+420 568620493, Fax:
Masarykovo nam. 100
67571, Namest nad Oslavou